Respiratory Specialists at the Woolcock refer patients for lung function tests to measure how well your lungs are working. Different tests determine how much air your lungs can hold, how quickly you can move air in and out of your lungs and how well your lungs supply oxygen into your blood.
By doing one of these tests, you can have your lung problem quickly and accurately diagnosed.
- Full lung function testing, allergy testing, spirometry, exhaled nitric oxide and asthma challenge testing
- These tests help to diagnose certain respiratory conditions such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease or asthma, evaluate lung function prior to surgery, monitor individuals regularly exposed to potentially harmful substances such as asbestos or monitor the effectiveness of current treatment for lung disease. They can also ensure your lung function is suitable for specific vocations or hobbies
- These tests are temporarily unavailable to be carried out at the Woolcock, but your respiratory specialist will organise a referral to another facility. The results are reported by our expert respiratory physicians and returned to your referring doctor. Our physicians are also available for appointments for discussion of your results and treatment advice
WHO SHOULD GET TESTED
If you have breathing problems and answer ‘yes’ to any of the following questions you may benefit from a lung function test to find the cause.
- Do you become short of breath when walking up inclines or climbing stairs?
- Do you have a persistent cough?
- Do you wheeze when you breathe?
- Does your chest get tight?
- Have you ever been a smoker?
- Have you ever worked in a dusty occupation?
- Are you finding your breathing medication ineffective?
- Do you need a mannitol challenge, bronchial provocation, or are a police recruit or scuba diver?
Find out more
Book an appointment
For bookings with a Respiratory and Sleep physician please click here to book a consultation.
Please ensure you have a referral from your doctor. To download a referral form, click here.
If the doctor you wish to see is not listed online, please call us on 02 9805 3000 or complete the form below.
Please note that the Woolcock Clinic is a fee-charging clinic and fees are charged at the doctor’s discretion.