What are Pulmonary Function Tests?
Pulmonary Function Tests are breathing tests used to measure how well your lungs are working. Different tests determine how much air your lungs can hold, how quickly you can move air in and out of your lungs and how well your lungs supply oxygen into your blood.
Do you become short of breath when walking up inclines or climbing stairs?
Do you have a persistent cough?
Do you wheeze when you breathe?
Does your chest get tight?
Have you ever been a smoker?
Have you ever worked in a dusty occupation?
Are you finding your breathing medication ineffective?
If you answered YES to any of these questions, you may benefit from testing to find the cause of your breathing problems.
Why are Pulmonary Function Tests performed?
● To determine the cause of breathing problems
● To diagnose certain lung diseases such as Asthma or COPD
● To evaluate lung function before surgery
● To monitor the lung function of a person regularly exposed to potentially harmful substances such as asbestos which can damage the lungs
● To Monitor the effectiveness of current treatment for lung disease
Do you need a mannitol challenges, bronchial provocation or hypertonic saline?
Are you a police recruit?
Do you need respiratory testing?
The Woolcock Clinic provides this service.